Migrating From Bridge CS4 to CS5

May 2, 2010 by
Filed under: Features

While Photoshop tends to get most of the press during major upgrades, Bridge users have a few things to be happy about with the CS5 release. The new Export tab, which bundles Photoshop Image Processor-like functionality right into Bridge; the Mini Bridge which bundles Bridge right into Photoshop; new Batch Rename functionality and new Output features, and other tweaks and modifications make Bridge CS5 a welcome upgrade. Unfortunately, as with Photoshop, Adobe has not seen fit to add any migration features for moving Bridge database information into CS5. However, with a few file copies, it appears that you can move the bulk of your important Bridge data to the new version

First, note that there doesn’t appear to be any way to move Favorites from CS4 to CS5. So, if you’ve filled up the Favorites tab with a lot of locations, you’ll simply have to rebuild those favorites from scratch. Creating Favorites is a simple drag-and-drop, so this isn’t too burdensome of a process.

What I was most concerned about migrating were my collections, and my keywords, and on the Mac, you can do this with a simple file copy. In the Finder, navigate to ~ > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Bridge CS4. Open another window and navigate to ~ > Library > Adobe > Application Support > Bridge CS5.

If you want to copy your keywords, just copy the Adobe Bridge Keywords.xml file from the CS4 directory to the CS5 directory. Similarly, you can take your Collections by copying the Collections folder. As you can see, there are other preferences you can move.

After copying the files, restart Bridge CS5 and you should see all of your Keywords in the Keywords panel, and your Collections in the Collections tab.

If you move your CS4 Collections data, you may find that, after you restart Bridge CS5, your Export panel has disappeared. Choose Window > Export to reactivate it. You can also choose Workspace > Reset Workspace, to set the workspace back to its default configuration, without wiping out your Collections. Obviously, any other changes you’ve made to that workspace will be wiped out.

Windows users, I’m sorry but I don’t have a Windows install at the moment, but if someone else wants to figure out the equivalent directories, that would be great.

Upgrade to Photoshop CS5 for Mac from Amazon
Upgrade to Photoshop CS5 for Windows from Amazon

Comments

13 Comments on Migrating From Bridge CS4 to CS5

1. Jeremy on Mon, 3rd May 2010 8:23 am
  2. The Windows (XP anyway) folders are at C:Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Adobe\Bridge CS4 and …\Bridge CS5 respectively. Hope that helps.

3. Dan on Mon, 3rd May 2010 8:59 am
  4. The folder location for the Mac is ~ > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Bridge CS4, and ~ > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Bridge CS5. I believe you inadvertently omitted the “Adobe” folder.

5. Ben Long on Mon, 3rd May 2010 9:38 am
  6. Whoops, correct Dan, thanks. Fixed now.

[...] Migrating From Adobe Bridge CS4 to Bridge in CS5 [...]

7. Nicholas Forneris on Wed, 2nd Jun 2010 8:14 am
  8. You wouldn’t perhaps know the proper method on migrating my Workspaces as well would you? Would they still work or would the new Export tab mess that all up?

9. Ben Long on Tue, 8th Jun 2010 8:16 pm
  10. Sorry, according to Adobe there’s no way to move workspaces.

11. Scott Valentine on Sun, 13th Jun 2010 12:55 pm
  12. Thanks, Ben – I wonder why the Br team hasn’t included a migration script? John Nack keeps opining about it, but the feature never seems to make it into PS or Br.

13. John Hill on Wed, 14th Jul 2010 7:06 am
  14. following instructions but get to Bridge cs4 and cs5 extensions but not sure what to do next.
    I have tried recreating collections and dragging and dropping files which appear in the collection until you quit bridge but are then lost, but some files are retained

I think failure to cater for customers who have bought CS4 and migrated to CS5 is a major mistake

John

15. Trace on Mon, 26th Jul 2010 3:47 pm
  16. Thank you for putting this info up! I recently made the CS4 -> CS5 conversion and was wondering how I’d get all of my Collections to migrate. Many mahalos!

[...] there a facility for migrating Collections, Favorites, and Keywords from Bridge CS4? (By the way, here’s how to migrate your Bridge data manually.) It probably says something about my character that if I were in charge of the CS5 upgrade, this [...]

17. Kathy on Sat, 6th Aug 2011 7:21 pm
  18. What’s the location of Bridge CS5 collections/keywords under Windows 7? I need to restore them after a HD failure. Thanks.

19. Ruben on Tue, 30th Aug 2011 3:48 pm
  20. what’s the limit of images I can use in Bridge CS5?? I’m working with 28 k jpgs and would like to tag them with keywords so I can sort them out. Thanks.

21. Sandra Morgan on Tue, 6th Sep 2011 1:57 am
  22. Help!!

Like John,

I cannot work out what to do once I reach the “CS4 Extensions Folder” can anyone help? Please!!!!!

Sandy

Tell me what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

• Nothing Else to Buy!

Seventh Edition
    Order Now!

Complete Digital Photography
    by Ben Long.

Everything you want and need to know about digital photo-
    graphy - from buying a camera, to editing your images, to making your final prints. Completely reorgan-
    ized and loaded with more content than any previous edition!

• Classes at Lynda.com

Inkjet Printing

by Ben Long.

If you've ever printed a photo from your computer, then you've probably already learned how much difference there can be from screen to printer. In Inkjet Printing For Photographers you'll learn how to get beautiful results from your inkjet printer. From the edits you need to make to prepare your image, to color management, media and printer selection, this course will show you how to dramatically improve the quality of your printed images. Don't skip out on this essential area of expertise, check out

• More To Read

Real World
    Capture NX2

Real World Capture NX

Order Now!

by Ben Long.

Learn the ins and outs of Nikon's exceptional image editing application. Capture NX 2 provides revolutionary selective editing tools, and a fully non-destructive image editing environment that can be used on any TIFF, JPEG file or Nikon raw file.

Click here for more info!